"No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee." John Donne from Meditations.
The first time I heard of this poem was when I saw the film "About a Boy" when Hugh grant's charater Will contradicts this and says
"That was back in those times when men had no TV or CD or VCD or DVD or Home espreeso makers.... Now if you are equipped you can actually be an island paradise....."
My best dialogue though was when marcus says to Will that other people can make you happy and then Will says.."If other people can make you happy then they are also equally capable of making you unhappy.."
Well said Dude! If only I could have been like you.Now its not just that Im not an island but then recent developments in my life would suggest that Im a old dry leaf who would be blown in direction and in any speed by even the slightest of breeze.
Im this sentimental creature who still has the tiny piece of magnet which her 7yr old cousin gave her for safe keeping(im sure that even he would have forgotten about that) some one whose day gets ruined because some one who I knew didnt smile at ME and many other odd things.So when one of my friends who I was very much found of picked up a quarrel with me I was almost heart broken..
John Donne doesnt honestly give the most right approach to life.Now other people might appreciate you because you are sensitive to even the tiniest things that happen to them and you are considering your friends sorrow as your own or happiness as your own.But then this is rubbish because if you are affected by everyone then just as they might make you happy they can also make you unhappy.
Now I have tried and tried but then I have given up.. not in my 9th life can I be an island or someone who is self made and independent.But then I thought I would try to be hypocrite and tell people to be an island and then I put up an orkut profile which says "Dont even give a damn" and a foto of Bart Simpson which screams out a tough cool attitude.In reality it would have been in that period of my life when I got soo affected by everything that I had put up that caption.Well told ya! Im taking hyppocrisy to new levels...Tc! Salaam!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Being an island, as one wants to be does not make one necessarily an independent or self-made man. And both need not be the same. Self-made or independent people are not necessarily islands impervious to the ways of the world, or shall I say moods of individual personalities. You can be independent and self-made but not an island. Every island is connected to the other, but what is not shown on the surface is hidden in the depths of the sea.
It is connected. Likewise on the surface, I may have a carefree, don't-give-a-damn-what-people-say attitude, but my insecurities are hidden beneath the surface hidden and revealed at the weakest of moments. Those weakest of moments are when we cannot remain an island. We need someone, to be there. Just to be there.
Post a Comment